The mission of Oregon Somali Family Education Center is to provide and promote culturally relevant services to Somali families and contribute to unique experiences to all communities, through partnerships with public and private organizations so as to improve the quality of their life and provide smooth transition to their new life as new citizens in the United States.
Oregon Somali Community Overview
- 7500-8000 Somalis live in Oregon and majority of them live in greater Metro areas.
- 40% of Somalis Immigrants speak English well enough to get a job, especially the young people.
- 90% live with their families
- Average Family has 5-7 members
- 30% are eligible to become U.S. Citizens
- Created more than 10 Somali businesses.
- More than 200 of Somali’s are attending Oregon Colleges and Universities.
- Unemployment is rate is higher 20% than state average rate.